- Sun Dragon Daylilies is located in Kentucky, and is a state-inspected breeding program, yearly inspected and licensed through the Kentucky Office of the State Entomologist. My area is in zone 6 or 7, depending on who you ask and the winter you are referring to. My daylilies are grown in the average conditions of my area. My soil is acidic (averaging about pH 6.0 - 6.5), heavy clay and orange sandstone blend with a layer of dark brown top soil. I do not do soil amendments, nor do I make a lot of additives to the soil. I want to know what is going to grow the best in average conditions, not what looks the best in the highest input conditions that most average gardeners and homeowners won't be able or willing to provide. Daylilies are billed as 'the easiest of all garden plants', and that can be true, when you find daylilies that haven't been bred and raised for generations in heavily modified conditions with lots of fertilizer, water, soil amendments, even artificial growing mediums and greenhouses, and/or raised in the warm semi-tropics of Florida.
- All of my plants are grown with no spraying for insect or pathogenic pests and with no additive fertilizer, water, or soil amendments. In this way I can test each plant I produce so that I can know what are the toughest, most forgiving and most resistant to pest damage. In this way I work to find the plants that will be easiest and most resilient for you to grow without resorting to expensive ,and often time consuming, inputs.
- From the year 2012 through 2016, I practiced a program of rust resistance screening in my hybridizing garden and seedling beds. In order to do that, I had to bring in plants from Florida each spring to ensure the presence of rust for screening, as rust does not survive my winters and I don't use greenhouses. As of 2016 I have completed that screening and will not be bringing in any more plants for the purpose of acquiring rust for the foreseeable future. As there has been no rust here in my gardens since the summer of 2016, my garden is rust free.
- Obtaining My Introductions
- I ship bare root daylily divisions. I can accept orders at any time, but I only ship in two small windows each year, as noted below. This is not a business website, and so I do not have an ordering system online. As this is my hobby and the goal is to spread the work of my breeding program, I do not maintain large enough numbers of any of my introductions to facilitate commercial activities. Due to my limited shipping windows in spring and late summer/fall, and the small numbers of any given introduction that I grow, some introductions will become unavailable quickly. I require a minimum order of $50.00 to ship daylilies to you, to cover the time involved in digging, dividing, cleaning, washing, packing and delivering for shipment to you. Shipping costs do not apply toward the $50.00 minimum order. Please contact me by email (I am hard to reach by phone as I am a work force of one) to be sure the cultivars you are interested in are still available. Please note, specific daylilies are only considered 'reserved' when payment is received. Orders can be paid by check or money order. If you are not satisfied with the plants you receive, do not plant them and contact me immediately. I only ship within the US and do not offer international shipping at this time. I cannot ship to California at this time.
- Sun Dragon Daylilies does not have a store front or display garden and we only place our daylilies in other gardens through shipment by USPS Priority mail. As this is a hobby and I am the entirety of my workforce, I only ship for a short time in spring and a short time in late summer/early fall. You may contact me to arrange a shipping date or to see if I can ship outside my shipping windows. I may or may not be able to, depending on any number of other obligations or projects that I may have going on.
- Spring 2023 Projected Shipping Dates:
- For spring of 2023, shipping will be during the last two weeks of April and first two weeks of May.
- Shipping rates
- I ship by USPS Priority Mail. I use flat rate medium and large boxes. Shipping rates for 2023 will be based upon current shipping rates for those sizes.
- Rates - Divisions (2022)
- The following is a general guideline.
- 1-5 divisions - $18.00
- 6-10 divisions - $25.00
- Extra large divisions may change the number of divisions that can be packed in either size shipping box. Some small divisions or orders of single divisions may be able to use the small flat rate box. Orders over ten divisions my require multiple shipping boxes.
- I offer consulting, coaching and guidance for breeding programs. I can guide you in developing a breeding program, helping you to meet your goals in breeding plants or animals, through my personal experience and knowledge of applying husbandry, plant breeding sciences and genetic sciences to your program to help you in developing the program you desire or to guide you in dealing with specific interests or issues within an existing program. For more information, contact me at the email address below.
- Garden Visitors
- Sun Dragon Daylilies is not a public nursery or nursery center and only ships plants through USPS Priority Mail during two short windows in spring and late summer/early fall. We are not open to the public. Garden visits are by appointment only. My plant breeding program is my hobby and my major focus. I don't have any help or workers, and do all of the garden maintenance myself, so my time is limited. I may not always be able to accommodate garden visits due to prior commitments or any number of other situations, especially if the request to visit is on short notice. However, while visits must be limited, I do love to meet daylily people and discuss my program and their interests. As this is a hobby and not a business, I just need to schedule in advance for visits. Thank you for your understanding.
For questions or inquiries
just change the words in parenthesis to the symbols @ and . to email.
(I am writing it this way, in addition to the hyperlinked email link above it, for those who can't use the hyperlink above and to reduce spam in my inbox.)